Friday, July 11, 2014

2014 Recruit: Fred Iraufemi

I'm still not sure how to pronounce his name, but any 6'7 power forward who can block five shots a game and get a triple-double in points, rebounds, and blocks is a keeper.

Today we're looking at Fred Iruafemi, the Middle Creek HS star from the Raleigh suburbs who is his school's all-time shot blocking leader. Fred has taken advantage of his 6'7 frame, great timing, and athleticism to lead his team in all (yes, all) major statistical categories this past season. He veraged 12.8 points, 10.4 rebounds, 2.5 assists, 1.8 steals, and 5 rejections a game for Middle Creek in 2013-14, and swatted a school record 14 shots in a state playoff game. He managed to set a single-season mark with 132 blocks this year, and if he hits the weight room, it looks like we've got a handy replacement for D.J. Covington.

The Middle Creek Mustangs were 16–10 this year, no doubt in part due to Fred's rim protection ability. But he can also work the offensive end quite well; Fred had a triple-double against Garner-Magnet HS (the first in school history) with 20 pts/15 rebs/12 blocks, and had a 19/12 against soon-to-be state champion Apex. Fred's also second all-time in Middle Creek history with 8.2 boards/game and second in FG shooting (55%).

Never mind his stats, though; I was thrilled with his character. If you attend a game of his you will see him swat shots back and forth, but you will not see him gloat about it. "We have to finish out the possession. If we don’t go down and score, the block is pretty much wasted," he said. "I'm getting my team involved. I’m not caring much about myself, just winning the game." His coach, David Kushner, questioned his boisterousness as a sign of a lack of leadership, but I tend to disagree. The numbers speak for themselves. "They have a winning tradition and after I graduate from VMI I will be set for life...Coach Baucom and I are cool, we text often." I can imagine.

Fred and his Brother Rat Armani will be in a chess match for the starting lineup come October. With his physique and body size I can't see Fred getting a ton of playing time, and I don't know if he's capable of replicating what Covington brought, but if he gets bigger in the preseason and adjusts to Division I size, hopefully he'll prove me wrong.

3 comments:

  1. Appreciate the link to Talkin' Terriers. Great job with your blog; I've enjoyed your recent articles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback, Harrison, and I appreciate that you've linked my site to yours as well. See you in October @ Spartanburg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem.

      Unfortunately, due to school schedule & long distance, I doubt if I'd be able to attend, but that could change.

      In case you weren't aware, I'd like to let you know of a place where you can let other SoCon fans know about your blog, if you'd like:
      http://socon.boards.net/board/3/socon-blogs

      Hope the blog does very well.

      Thanks again,
      Harrison

      Delete